Army Career's Guide

Getting the Army To Pay For Your Eduction

Home»Army Education Benefits»Getting the Army To Pay For Your Eduction

The Montgomery GI Bill, Chapter 1606 in particular, is an education program that pays for up to 36 months of educational benefits to members of the Army, Army National Guard, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Air National Guard and Coast Guard Reservists. Contrary to popular belief, it is not necessary to serve on active duty to qualify for these benefits.

Are You Eligible?

As a National Guard member or Reservist, you can receive education benefits if you:

  • signed a 6-year obligation with the Selected Reserve after June 30, 1985, AND
  • completed your Initial Active Duty for Training (IADT), AND
  • earned your High School Diploma or GED before you completed your IADT, AND
  • are in good standing in a drilling Selected Reserve unit

Education benefits are available for 10 years if you became eligible before October 1, 1992. If you became eligible after that date, your benefits are available for 14 years. Generally, your eligibility ends when you leave the Selected Reserves.

Are You Interested in Travel and Learning a Professional Skill? There are career fields in the United States Army Reserves and National Guard for YOU! Click HERE for Details.

How Much Money Can You Receive And How Should You Apply?

The current benefit for attending college full time is $309 per month. To apply, request a Notice of Basic Eligibility (DD Form 2384 or 2384-1) from your unit, then select a course of study and submit VA Form 22-1990, Application for Education Benefits. Send this form to the VA regional office that serves the state where you will receive your training. You can also apply online at


Find Military Friendly Colleges

Get your degree and get information on the program that’s right for you.

Powered by Campus Explorer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.